The process is in motion.
We have a jury and project plan. We’re excited about how the steps have flowed so far. Here’s what will happen while the volunteers fundraise in the background:
- Some students have already completed their designs and some students are still preparing submissions. We expect to have 21 designs when the student challenge ends 31st March, 2016.
- Five anonymous arts professionals have accepted the invitation to sit as jury members. The jury will review all the student designs and create a short list based on criteria such as artistry and heritage values for Riley Park.
- The City of Calgary has an interest in the designs at this stage for an important reason: Riley Park has cultural and landscape heritage status. Two Parks Department employees are involved on the sidelines waiting for the shortlist. They will give input into how the short list designs meet heritage criteria.
- The jury will send its short list to our partners, IBI Group. Experts at IBI Group will give the short listed designs a professional review of the feasibility, sustainability, affordability, and technical details. This technical review is because students are not yet professionals.
- IBI Group will return the short listed designs with detailed feedback. That feedback may include modifications so designs meet industry best practices and City of Calgary standards.
- The jury will then use IBI Group’s technical feedback and City of Calgary Park’s input to select one design from the short list. The student whose design is selected may have the opportunity to work on any suggested modifications to meet technical code and heritage values.
- With the final design selected (we hope for late May, early June, 2016,) we will send those specifications to our chosen fabricator (in negotiations now) for drinking fountain construction.
- Depending on the complexity of the final design and the fabricator’s schedule, the target date for the drinking fountain to be installed and operational is late 2016.
Should we start celebration party planning now? Not yet: there’s a lot of funds yet to be raised.
Be part of it: help Riley Park attain a public drinking fountain, for future generations. Click the button to donate through the Parks Foundation to make this wonderful, artistic drinking fountain reality. Specify your donation is in support of Water for Riley. You can also participate as a volunteer organizer, fundraiser, donor, sponsor, or any other role. Call 403 862 1923 or email Water for Riley with your contact information.