When we first floated the idea of community-building around an ACAD and SAIT student design challenge we didn’t predict how engaging this drinking fountain project would become. In fact, we weren’t sure of anything. Expectation management is a way to avoid disappointment and we madly managed our expectations. We needn’t have worried.
There’s not words to convey how appreciative we are for all the moral support and hours of volunteer work put into the project so far. Fundraising is always an issue, and yet, we believe.
What have we accomplished so far to ensure the drinking fountain will get planted in Riley Park? Let’s chart the progress:
- Our student designers put their artistic hearts, souls connected to nature, and creative brains into incredible designs.
- The jury of anonymous professionals are so very qualified to select a design that will be a showpiece attraction for our much loved and historic park.
- IBI Group is standing by to offer expertise to the jury so that the fountains are reliable, affordable, sustainable and feasible.
- The administrations and staff of the three neighbouring learning institutions – Hillhurst School, SAIT and ACAD – are collaborating and engaging students together and with the Hillhurst Sunnyside Community Association (HSCA), we think for the first time.
- The residents of Kensington area are working with us to showcase the designs and get community feedback.
- Our charity partners, Parks Foundation Calgary and This is My City Art Society shepherd us through the paperwork of grant applications and fundraising.
- Talented markitgirlz designed the logo and website, other locals connected the project with Kensington BRZ.
- Local businesses are cheering us onward. We are indeed a small village in the larger community.
- Staff in City of Calgary Departments – notably Parks and Heritage – have done everything possible to clear the way for the fountain, once constructed, to be planted, turned on, and taken into the city’s inventory.
- A local fabrication company stepped up to work with us in constructing the fountain once we have a final design.
- Everyone we approach offered to help publicize, and we hope anyone reading this hits a forward or social media button to help more.
Yes, we have a lot of work to do, especially in raising money, before we succeed in constructing and planting the fountain in late summer next year.
Will we be successful? With your help, yes. Please click the button to donate through the Parks Foundation, and specify your support is for Water for Riley.